Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2015

"It's like you're drowning and then someone hands you a baby."

Jim Gaffigan made the above comment about having his fourth child, but it seems like three kids was my tipping point. In fact, I have actually used the word "drowning" more than once in the last couple months to describe how I feel. As I was recently explaining to someone close to me the challenges of having three children, she asked mostly innocently if I regretted having a third child or if I wished there had been more space between the last two. I understand how this is a legitimate question, but my response was something along the lines of *WTF?! No, I don't regret it and I would do it again in a heart beat and God willing I probably will.* Because the truth is that in all the chaos of the last 4 months (yes, Adam is 8 months old, but the first few months were s m o o t h sailing), I have never once thought, "Oh why did we have another baby?" or "Man I wish we had waited another [pick a number] of months." With each of our children, Caleb and I prayerfully discerned that we were in a place to accept more children if that was God's will, and after several months He took us up on the offer.

Because here's the thing: just because something is HARD doesn't mean it is BAD. So yes, I am overwhelmed and there is an inherent difficulty in raising children (any number of children) in this day and time, but this...
...and this...
are not bad. Not bad at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment