Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Olivia's birth story: my 6 hour quicky labor

Since Mia was two weeks early, I was anticipating that our second little bundle might also arrive early. Caleb's grandmother's birthday was November 16, so I thought it would be really cool if that was new baby's birthday too, forget the fact that my due date wasn't until November 29. But November 16 came and went with nary a real contraction, and the entire next week, the week of Thanksgiving, was also uneventful in babyland. At my 39 week appointment on November 26 I was only 3 cm and having no signs of imminent labor. My OB stripped my membranes, which was, per my text messages to Caleb, "uncomfortable but quick", and we set my induction for the following Monday. After being induced with Mia, I desperately wanted to go into labor on my own this time, but since I'm seriously impatient, four days past due was about as far as I could push it. Anyways, after I left my appointment, I took Mia straight to the zoo to enjoy the precious few minutes/hours/days I had left with her alone, and I was also hoping that the walking might induce my labor. Nope.

Over the next couple days I lost a lot of my mucus plug, but other than that nothing felt different. I still hadn't felt the baby drop, and I wasn't crazy nesting. On Wednesday, I drove out to Franklin to meet Hannah to do a little Christmas craft for the grandparents, and on the way I started to have some uncomfortable contractions. Just as I was getting excited and about to call and cancel our outing, the contractions went away. *Frown* But at least something different was happening, and I figured if they hurt then they were probably doing SOMEthing. So not a total downer. I didn't have any more uncomfortable contractions for the next 24 hours, but then on Thursday night they started to hurt again. I was just beginning to prep Caleb that "this might be it" and then, of course, they went away. *Another sad face* With the two false alarms, I had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be induced on Monday.

Friday was our good friend (and Mia's godfather) Patrick's 30th birthday, and Kristi had painstakingly planned a surprise party for him with me as a contributing accomplice. Kristi kept checking in with me throughout the day to make sure I wasn't going into labor, and I kept telling her I felt totally fine. At 5:00 Friday evening I drove to her house to pick up the birthday cake and other party paraphernalia, and then went home to hang out until the party at 8:00. As I walked out her front door I asked, "Did you ever have contractions that made you feel like you had to pee?" The contractions didn't hurt, but they were REALLY strong. I don't remember what she said, but neither of us were concerned that I might not be able to fulfill my party duties.

I got home and took a shower and jokingly commented to Caleb that "this could be the last shower before the baby." I got ready for the party while he cooked dinner, and by the time we sat down to eat at 6:00 I suggested that we start timing the contractions. They were getting more uncomfortable and more frequent, but since they were irregular (like 3-3-10-5-10) I thought it was another false alarm. By 6:30 I was rushing to the potty frequently and was in a lot more pain. I called some friends for surprise party back-up just in case I couldn't make it. Since we were going out anyway, Caleb's dad was already planning to babysit, but when he saw me he made it clear he was not prepared to stay the night.

I finally called the on-call doc at 7:00, and when I told her this was my second baby she said "Don't wait too long to come in". I must have said something like, "but I have my friend's cake for her husband's surprise birthday party!" because to this day I am still known to this doctor as "the girl with the cake". I gritted and groaned my way through the bedtime routine with Mia, and as soon as she was down I begged Caleb to take me to the hospital. After a very pleasant (and greatly desired to be repeated) medicated birth with Mia, my biggest fear was not getting to the hospital in time to get an epidural. We don't live far from the hospital, but I was white-knuckling it the whole way. And we had to make a stop at the restaurant to drop of the goodies. Thank God the restaurant was on the way.

I was admitted at 8:30 and got really angry when the triage nurse wouldn't order me an epidural then and there. I was 5 cm when I got to the hospital, and an hour later I still hadn't progressed. At 9:30, my savior by the name of Anesthesia walked in. I made the desperate mistake of letting a CRNA student do my epidural and she couldn't get it, but her instructor bailed us both out and I was blessedly numb in T-5 seconds. The next hour went something like "POP-8-meconium-NICU-10" and I guess somewhere in there the on-call doc called my OB, because about 11 PM and 10cm Dr. B walked in.

Since I was complete I started practice pushing, but they didn't want me to actually deliver until NICU was there because of the meconium. That was fine because I was doing a really terrible job of pushing effectively, but then I got in one good push and Olivia basically fell out- without NICU. Oops. The doctor later commented that "Olivia practically delivered herself." But all was fine, and I actually cried this time because I was so excited for Mia to have a sister.

Olivia Leigh, 11/30/12, 6 lbs. 9 oz, 19.5"
So Olivia, you're 10 months old today and still don't have a single hint of tooth popping through. You just started balancing on your own, and even take a tentative falling step or two. You're trying to talk and making some really funny sounds now. I love watching you and your sister interact and am so excited to see what great friends y'all become!

1 comment:

  1. Love the story! I really need to write G's down before I forget the gory details :)

    ReplyDelete