Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Saying one more goodbye

Oh Grandad... I wish you were here to tell your own story. The first thing I noticed about you and what I was reminded of often was what a brilliant storyteller and a clever comic you were. You always had a witty retort for whatever comment someone might throw your way, and you kept up your lively ways until the end.
 
The first time I met you, you pulled out a small glass box full of your most "prized" possessions, grabbed a long, skinny, stick-lookin' thing, plopped it in my hand, and asked what I thought it was. After some really close observation but getting no closer to an answer, I was relieved of my misery and confusion when you gave me that mischievous Grandad grin and said, "Its a coon prick!" Yep, my first encounter with you involved a raccoon's penis.
 
I loved hearing your stories of all the trouble you caused throughout your life, especially in your younger years. From growing up in Wynne, Arkansas to playing football on scholarship at the University of Arkansas. Or how you convinced sweet Nanny the Razorback cheerleader to marry you. Or your time in the Army Air Corps during World War II. Or especially your crazy ways when you went back school and to football at the University of Louisiana-Monroe, but this time with a wife to take care of. 
 
I remember visiting you at your office and seeing how much you still delighted in working at the company you established even after almost fifty years. You were a great spiritual leader for your family and friends and made sure everyone always had their eyes on the prize. You were a cherished father, grandfather, and great-grandfather, and we will all miss your spunk and your smile. We love you Grandad!
holding Mia for the first time- January 2011
Mia's baptism- February 2011
August 2011
Thanksgiving 2012

I love this face!
holding Olivia, great grandbaby #5- December 2012
In memory of Arliss B. Armstrong, September 6, 1926-August 4, 2013

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your loss! Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete