Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Mia's early arrival

Dear Mia Grace,
For your 32 month birthday, here's the story of your birth. 'Cuz I've had this drafted for over two years, and what good is a mommy blog without a birth story?
--------------------

Three weeks before my due date I was working full time and all our baby items were still in the living room from my showers. At my 37 week appointment the baby was still measuring super small (earlier I had been diagnosed with intrauterine growth restriction), so my doctor advised me to stop working and relax on the couch drinking protein shakes to try to put some weight on our skinny baby. I thought that sounded like a GREAT idea, so my mom came up to help me get the nursery ready and then I was looking forward to two weeks of doing nothing!

On December 15 I went in for my 38 week appointment and was greeted with a blood pressure of 160/110. Yikes. After some delicate questions from the nurse- "Did anything stressful happen on the way into the office today?"- I was admitted to the hospital for some more tests. After establishing that my BP was not coming down, I got the news that I would be induced THAT DAY! Uhm, what?! I was planning to go back home and watch some more Kardashians, thanks very much. I was completely freaking out because this was not what I was expecting when I left my house that morning, and I was all alone and had no idea what to expect. But I quickly got in touch with Caleb, and he was at my side in about an hour, though it felt more like five.

At noon they started my magnesium IV (which makes you feel like you have the flu x 1,000,000) for the blood pressure, which meant from there on out I was stuck in bed. My plan was to try to go natural (Caleb's mom was our Bradley instructor), but between being induced, bedridden, and on mag, the nurse basically told me there was no chance that was actually going to happen. I didn't even fight that assumption because I felt like I was dying slowly, and I thought I was probably going to end up needing a C-section anyways since the magnesium and the apparently unavoidable epidural would likely slow my labor to an unacceptable crawl.

At about 2pm Dr. Barrett came in and broke my water, and they started me on Pitocin. At this point I was only 1cm and 50%. Nothing really happened for awhile, but then at about 7pm I really started to feel the contractions. I plugged into my iPod and tried to Zen out with some peaceful tunes, but by 2am I couldn't take it anymore and I really, REALLY just wanted to get some sleep. I was still only 3cm, but I decided to wave the white flag and holler for the epidural. BEST. DECISION. EVER. After the epidural was in place, I conked out for 4 hours, and when I woke up I was complete and ready to push. (Hooray! No C-section necessary! Evidently all I needed was more strong meds.) I only pushed for 20 minutes and at 7:11 am our little girl was born! Even though she was tiny, she was perfectly healthy. I'm pretty sure all I said for the first hour (and probably the first week) was, "I CANT BELIEVE YOU'RE A GIRL!" I was convinced we were having a boy.

Unfortunately for this mama, the 17 hour labor wasn't the hardest part. That first day of Mia's life was both the best and worst day of mine. Because of the blood pressure, I had to stay on the magnesium for another 24 hours. I couldn't get out of bed or eat, and because I felt so crappy from the medicine, I could barely hold or nurse my brand new baby. It was terrible. My poor nurse that day; I was really hard on her. Thankfully, by 7am the next morning, I was off of the magnesium, and ready to take on my role as mother!
Welcome to the world sweet baby girl, 12/16/10; 4 lbs, 13 oz, 18"

8/16/12; 2 years and 8 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment